Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What's Up With That?

Have you ever seen or heard something and thought................."What's up with that?"

Yeah, me too.  So let's talk about it!  Here's mine for the week......

I had to go to the ER this week for some stomach issues...waste of time but better safe then sorry, right?  Anyway, ER waiting rooms are probably one of THE best places to people watch.  I'm guilty of it... aren't we all?  So, this is what I dont' get......  This lady and her daughter roll into the ER and they are both wearing dirty clothes.  Now, I don't mean wrinkly and I don't mean one ketchup stain from a packet fiasco at lunch.  I'm talking about never been washed shirts and pants, dirt stains, food stains and piece of pink chewy candy stuck to the pant leg of the woman's dirty los pantalones. Now, my first reaction was, "holy cow, are they ok?  They are in the ER, maybe something bad happened and they had to dig someone out of a well or something".... I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I also thought to myself, "Hmmm... maybe they are homeless and they don't have a washer to wash their clothes or something??"   It's a likely thought in this economy.  So, they check-in to the ER, the daughter, who's about 13 or 14, has something wrong with her arm.... so there goes my digging-someone-out-of-a-well theory!  They sit down beside me and I'm thinking wow I hope she's ok and I hope they can afford to be here because Lord knows I can barely afford to be in the ER right now.  I start thinking about how lucky I am to have my family and all the support they give me.  I start feeling really sorry for these people sitting next to me.

And then.........

The mom, dirty fingernails and all, reaches into her purse and pulls out a... wait for it....  an iPad!!!!!

HOLD UP.  You can't afford to take care of yourself, wear clean clothes or give your daughter clean clothes or at least make sure that when you leave your house you are somewhat presentable, BUT, you can afford an iPad??????  WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?!

Now, this takes me back to the girls I see with their nails did, with a fresh french manicure or some fancy design at the store and then you see them paying for their food with WIC.  REALLY?!  How did you pay for your nails?!?!  You're on Welfare?!  Is there a nail salon I don't know about where they give people free manicures and pedicures????   WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?!

Bottom line: If you can't afford to pay your bills, feed and clothe your kids or take a bath, then you should probably save your money instead of buying iPads and fake nails.  WORD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment